Friday, January 9, 2015

Paleo Standing Rib Roast

You know how when it rains it pours? And then suddenly everything is better than great!

Well a few days before Christmas we took our van into the local dealership for the 4th time and yet again they had no idea what was wrong with the car. They were sure that it wasn't the wheel bearing. 

Another shop had said wheel bearing for sure. We were left wondering if the car was even safe to drive. 

I called another dealer that was about 2.5 hours away from our house. Since this dealer had an appointment on Christmas even at 8 am we decided to drive down the night before. We ended up staying at this awesome hotel in Des Moines that has an indoor waterpark! Our kids were thrilled! Oh and did I mention we stayed there for free because of hotels.com? When you stay with them often enough they actually give you a free nights stay!

The dealer was able to fix the car finally! So actually it was a pretty awesome thing!!

Next sure our wheel wouldn't fall off we went grocery shopping at Whole Foods and Costco for the next two weeks of meals. This included our Christmas dinner. I went to the butcher and asked if they had my standard spiral sliced ham. Nope out. Actually out of everything but filet, normal stuff like sausage, pork chops etc. But they did have the monster of a roast. I'd never cooked anything like this. 

At first I thought that the price was insane but honestly I didn't have many options left at the grocery store. Literally it was this, more expensive things, or chicken :-( And while I love roast chicken, it just doesn't say special!

Before you run at the price of a roast. We ate this for 4 days every meal after this. I know some people would say, "Wow! I'd get sick of that by then." Not us! It was amazing every single time! And my husband kept saying "Wow, honey this is like better than a restaurant!"

The grocery store was also out of, well most herbs, most everything. I bought what I thought might go well and figured I'd google a recipe later. 

I found lots of recipes but nothing quite like what I wanted to do. This was my winging it! With help from Anne Burelle from food network! Anne's Standing Rib Roast 

This was our Christmas Day dinner this year!

9 lb standing rib roast
15 figs
3 lbs carrots
3 large onions
1 heart celery
10 cloves garlic
10 large mushrooms
1 cup red wine
1 cup broth (just in case)

Rub:
10 garlic cloves (peeled)
3 inch piece ginger (peeled)
1/4 cup celtic sea salt
2 tbsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup parsley
3 tbsp tarragon
1 tbsp thyme
3 tbsp oregano
(I didn't do this but I would also try lemon zest maybe 2 lemons worth?
Drippings from 1 lb bacon
Olive oil until it forms a paste



You should preheat your oven to 450 degrees. First I chopped the celery, onions, mushrooms, very large. I made a bed of them on the bottom of the roasting pan. I added the garlic and figs. You want this bed to be very thick so that the veggies don't burn and the meat is kept above the juices. If your pan is bigger than mine or smaller you'll need fewer or more veggies. :-)

Next I made a paste for rubbing on the meat. I put into my cuisinart the peeled garlic cloves, 3 inch piece ginger, celtic sea salt, black pepper, parsley, tarragon, thyme, oregano. Pulse this for a few seconds then drizzle in the drippings from 1 lb bacon. Keep pulsing. You may need to also add some extra olive oil. You want it to be a thick paste.

Place the roast on the bed of veggies. Pour the paste on and rub it so that it forms a thick covering over the entire roast. Pour 1 cup of red wine into the bottom of the pan. You'll have to closely watch the amount of liquid in the pan so that the roast continues to be above the liquid. 


So if you are like me you forgot to preheat the oven... oops! If you did then go ahead and preheat it ;-)

Once preheated roast on 450 for 30 minutes. After these 30 minutes have gone by lower temp to 350. Baste. Check that your juices are enough to keep the veggies from burning but not so much that the roast is touching the liquid. If its too low then add some broth or water, or more red wine :-) If parts of the roast are cooking too fast then cover that part with aluminum foil.

Roast again at 350 for 30 minutes. Baste. Check the level of liquid.

Roast again at 350 for 30 minutes. This is when I had to remove liquid. So if your veggies look soupy you should too! If they are looking too dry add broth. 

Roast again for 350 for 15 minutes till internal temperature of thickest part of meat is 120. This is when my roast was done at 120 medium rare. If yours isn't 120 then keep cooking until it is. Just keep on with Roast 30 minutes check the temperature and baste.

When you reach 120 you want to take your meat out, tent it with aluminum foil and let it rest for 20 minutes. This allows the meat to finish cooking, redistribute the juices and lets you throw together any last minute things like a big salad topped with the bacon from the morning! We had this great fig dressing from whole foods. It was awesome!


Our pint sized bacon thief!

For presenting the special feast I scooped all the veggies out of the bottom of the pan and put them in this cool vegetable dish we were given for our wedding. 

Then I drained all the juices into a gravy dish and spooned off some of the fat. I normally leave the fat on. But there was about two inches of fat on top and it would have been a bit much. I tasted it and added salt to taste. Since you didn't salt the veggies at the beginning you should also taste and salt them.The reason I left the salt till the end is you really can't tell how much the salt from the meat will pour over the veggies and I didn't want them too salty. Then, we poured the au jus over the meat and veggies and it was amazing!

Hope you like this recipe! Let me know how it worked for you in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment